Imagine this, your Google ranking drop dramatically? There can be several reasons. In this post, we will cover why Google has reduced website ranking.
Google is the world’s largest search engine and getting top rankings in Google is a sign of success. That’s why everyone wants to see their website, blog, or business top in Google search and for this, a website owner uses different strategies:- Because Google is a major source of traffic.
If you want to improve Google ranking of your site, then proper setup and optimization are very important so that you can easily get more organic search (traffic).
Although Google ranking fluctuates because it is a part of SEO but a sudden dropping is not a good sign for your site. It greatly affects your traffic, business, and revenue. Here we will share the top reason why your Google ranking dropped dramatically.
So, let’s get started…
Top 12 Reasons Why Google Ranking Dropped Dramatically
Nobody knows what strategy Google works on, and Google does not even share it, so if your site’s search ranking drops, it is very difficult to find and recover it.
But if you know why did my website drop in Google, you can easily fix and recover it.
This post will help you to know why Google ranking has dropped dramatically or is happening.
1. Ranking on Irrelevant Keywords
This may be one of the main reasons for decreasing your Google ranking. You may have used keywords that are not related to the niche of your blog and Google does not like such a site.
For example, you are running a tech blog but share food-related content on it which is absolutely wrong.
If you do so, stop it off immediately. Otherwise, Your Google ranking will gradually decrease.
2. Broken Redirects
If you move your site to a new server or domain then proper redirection is very important, if you do not set proper redirection for your site, it will reduce your website ranking.
Ensure that you have updated XML sitemap, canonical tags and links properly.
3. Lost Links
When your site Lost backlinks, then your site ranking also affects and this can be another big reason.
You can use the Majestic or Ahrefs tool to check your site’s backlinks. These tools give you real-time information so that you can analyze your site backlinks easily.
If you want to avoid lost links affecting in the future, investing in a link monitoring tool can be a good idea.
4. Manual Actions
If your site ranking has dropped significantly, this indicates that Google has penalized your site.
If your site gets top position in other search engine results but not in Google, then this is a sure sign of Google Penalty.
You have to fix it as soon as possible and for this, you can use Google Search Console Tools.
First, log in to your Google Search Console account and go to the Manual Actions section. Here you can see why Google has penalized your site. Google also gives suggestions to fix it.
5. Algorithm Changes
Google does not care about your site, It only takes care of own users. Therefore, it always keeps updating search algorithms so that they can provide relevant results to their users.
When Google updates its algorithm, many websites are badly affected and their search traffic and ranking go down.
6. Depend on Geolocation
The Google search result also depends on the location of the user. If you check your site ranking for a specific location then you need to check for other location also to accurate understanding.
For example, If you get a top 10 rank for a specific keyword or phrase, then it will not be the same in other locations.
Do you know, the results you get for a specific search, can be completely different for another person.
In addition, when you get the search results by logging in to your Google Account, it will be completely different after logging out.
If you properly optimize everything on your site but still the Google ranking drops, then this may be the reason for the competition and your competitors are doing better than you.
You can use the SEMrush tool to monitor your competitors’ activities.
8. Page Speed
Fast loading website affects both your ranking and user experience.
If your site takes longer to load then the visitor will not wait for your site to open because anyone doesn’t want to wait. He will immediately exit your site and click on another search result which will increase bounce rate.
- 20 Ways How to Speed Up WordPress Site
- 17 Best Website Speed Checker Tools
- 11 Best Plugins To Speed Up WordPress Site
9. Low Quality Backlinks
Bad quality links play an important role in reducing your site’s Google ranking. If you create spammy links or buy backlinks, Google will penalize or blacklist your site. Here is a guide on How to Remove Bad Backlinks from Website
Google states very clearly that always make quality backlinks on your site.
And do you know that 100 quality backlinks are equal to 1000 low-quality backlinks? If there are too many low-quality backlinks on your site, then this could be the reason for the Google ranking drop.
So always try to get quality backlinks to avoid Google penalty. Quick tips to make high-quality backlinks for the website.
- Publish quality content to your blog – So that another website or blog links your content. This is the best way to get backlinks.
- Submit a guest post to the top blog – This is one of the best ways to get backlinks, drive targeted traffic, increase your audience, get more exposure and the opportunity to build relationships with other influencers.
- Broken link building method – Just you have to contact the owner of the website to report the broken link. And for that broken link you can recommend other websites (your website). This increases the chances of getting backlinks on your website.
- Social networking site profile – Just create an account on the popular social networking site and add your website URL in the profile page.
- Write Testimonials – Write testimonials for reputable websites. This method helps you to get a link from an authority website in a few minutes.
- Monitor your competitor’s backlinks – Find out the best backlinks of your competitors. After knowing where and how your competitors are making backlinks, try to get the link from there and that way.
10. Click-Through Rate Changes
When Google ranks a site, it first sees the user experience (user satisfied).
If your bounce rate is high, then it may be possible that people are clicking on your content but exit quickly because they are not satisfied with your content.
As a result, Google reduces your ranking based on click-through rate (CTR).
11. Duplicate Content
Always write unique and quality content. Furthermore, your article should be interesting and evergreen.
If you publish duplicate content on your blog, Google will reduce your search ranking and blacklist your blog too.
12. Updating frequency
If you do not publish posts regular on your blog, it can reduce both your ranking and the reader.
Therefore, try to publish a quality and unique post on your blog regularly, it helps to improve your Google ranking.
Otherwise, your competitor can beat you and your ranking and traffic will gradually decrease.
13. Responsive Design
Mobile search has completely dominated desktop search and more than half of searches are done from smartphones. If your website is not mobile-friendly, it can be difficult to view and use on a mobile device. To read content on a non-mobile-friendly site, users need to pinch or zoom.
Therefore, it can also be one of the most important reasons for your site’s ranking to decrease.
You can use “Google’s mobile-friendly testing tool” to check whether your website is mobile-friendly or not. Just paste the URL of your website into the field shown below, then click “Test URL.”
Quick steps to make your WordPress website mobile-friendly:
- Install a responsive theme – Currently, all modern WordPress themes are responsive. But it is your responsibility to check it.
- Use responsive plugins – When you add a widget or CTA button and opt-in form to your site, make sure it fits well to all screen sizes.
- Avoid adding pop-ups on mobile devices – However, most email opt-in forms work just fine on desktop but completely ruin the user experience on mobile devices. If you want to keep a popup for mobile users then do a lot of testing.
- Create a responsive menu – Make sure it looks fit on any mobile screen.
- Choose the right font and size – Make sure the fonts are not too small. People will not focus their attention. Just they will exit your blog (no matter how awesome it is). Use a font size that a visitor can easily scan.
- Use the correct image size – Images explains a thousand words and sticks visitors on your website longer. But make sure your image is high quality and looks great with your content layout.
Here is a detailed guide on how to make your WordPress website mobile-friendly