There are 2 ways to lock and unlock Aadhaar Card to prevent misuse. You can lock and unlock your Aadhaar card by sending an SMS from the mobile number registered with the Aadhaar card or by visiting the UIDAI official website.
If the mobile number is not registered in your Aadhaar card, then you must first link the mobile number to your Aadhaar card. To link a mobile number to Aadhaar, you have to go to the Aadhaar center. This is a process that you cannot do online. So first of all go to your nearest Aadhaar center and link the mobile number in your Aadhaar.
Today in this article, I am going to tell you how to lock Aadhaar number to prevent misuse. When you lock your Aadhar, no one can use your Aadhar without your permission. Also, you cannot use your Aadhaar unless you unlock it again.
As we all know, the Aadhaar card has become an essential document in today’s time. It has also become mandatory to link Aadhaar with a bank account and our personal details are also included in it. In such a situation, if your Aadhaar card goes into the wrong hands, then there is a possibility of fraud with you.
Below I have explained two ways how to lock and unlock Aadhaar and prevent misuse of Aadhar card photocopy.
Brief Descriptions of The Content
Aadhaar Lock and Unlock through UIDAI’s Website
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has introduced a new feature to prevent fraud related to Aadhaar. You will be able to lock and unlock your Aadhaar card. If you want to lock/unlock your Aadhaar number through UIDAI’s website, follow the steps below:
How to Lock Aadhaar through UIDAI
- First of all, visit UIDAI’s official website https://resident.uidai.gov.in/.
- Then click on Aadhaar Lock and Unlock Service.
- Enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number, full name, PIN code security code and click on “Send OTP”.
- Now, a new page will open, scroll down and enter the OTP then click on the “SUBMIT” button. Congratulations, your Aadhaar has been successfully locked.
How to Unlock Aadhaar through UIDAI
- To unlock Aadhaar, select the “Unlock UID” option.
- Enter your 16 digit VID number, Security Code and click on “Send OTP”.
- Now, enter OTP and click on “SUBMIT”.
congratulation…! Your Aadhaar number has been successfully unlocked.
Aadhaar Lock and Unlock through SMS
You can also lock and unlock your Aadhaar card by sending an SMS. If you want to lock/unlock your Aadhaar through SMS, follow the steps below:
How to Lock Aadhaar Card by Sms
- Send an SMS to 1947 to get OTP from mobile number registered with Aadhaar in this format: GETOTP Last four digits of Aadhaar number. For example, if your Aadhaar number is 1234 5321 4334, then sent an SMS like this GETOTP 4334.
- After getting the OTP you have to send another SMS on 1947 like this “LOCKUID Aadhaar NUMBER (last 4-digits) 6 digit OTP (which you have got)“. After that, UIDAI will lock your Aadhaar number. You will also get the confirmation message for your request.
How to Unlock Aadhaar Card by Sms
- First, send SMS GETOTP<SPACE> last 6-digits Virtual ID to 1947 from your registered mobile number.
- After receiving OTP, again send SMS UNLOCKUID<SPACE>last 6-digits Virtual ID-6-digits OTP to 1947. Once the SMS is sent, the UIDAI will unlock your Aadhaar number.
Hope this article helped you to lock/unlock your Aadhaar number… I’ve done, and now it’s your turn! Find this article helpful? Don’t forget to share!
Aadhaar related article:
- How to Generate Aadhaar Virtual ID
- How to Download/Print Aadhaar Card With Mobile Number
- How to Link Aadhaar With Pan Card Online Step by Step
- How to get instant PAN using Aadhaar Card
- How to Check Aadhaar Card Status
- How to Check Which Mobile Number is Registered on My Aadhar Card
- How to Change Name in Aadhar Card Online
- How to Change Mobile Number in Aadhar Card