Do you want to speed up Windows 10?
It is most frustrating when a computer runs slow… But don’t worry, there are dozens of tips that can help you run your computer as efficiently as possible.
In this article, I’m going to share few ways how to make Windows 10 to run faster.
How to Speed up Windows 10 PC
There are countless tweaks you can apply and things to boost your device performance, such as adding more memory, upgrading to a Solid-State Drive (SSD) storage, and more. Below the steps on how to speed up windows 10 pc.
Change Your Power Settings
If you are using the Power Saver feature in Windows 10, it can play an important role in slowing down your PC. This feature reduces the performance of your PC to save energy. Change it from “Power Saver” to High Performance or Balanced. It will give you an immediate performance boost.
Check Your Hard Disk Space
If your hard disk is almost full, it can slow down the speed of your computer or laptop. Keeping the hard disk 15% free can increase your computer speed.
Free up space with Disk Cleanup tool
you can use the Disk Cleanup tool to delete temporary files and system files from your device.
- In the search box on the taskbar, type disk cleanup, then select it from the results.
- Select the check box next to the type of files you want to delete. (To view a description of each type of file, select the name.) By default, Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Thumbnails are selected. Be sure to clear those checkboxes if you don’t want to delete those files.
- To free up even more space, select Clean up system files, and then select the type of system files you want to delete. Disk Cleanup will take a few moments to calculate the amount of space that can be freed up.
- After you’ve selected the types of files you want to delete, select OK, and then select Delete files in the confirmation window to start the cleanup.
There are many cleaning programs available in the market that can help you clean the hard drive space by deleting temporary files, browser history, cookies, Windows registry and defragmenting your hard disk.
Disable Programs That Run on Startup
This can also be a reason for your Windows 10 PC to slow down. Prevent programs from running that you rarely or never use. This improves your computer performance and your Windows 10 PC will run more smoothly.
Method 1:- Open the Start menu and run a search for “msconfig“. Select Startup to see a list of the programs and services that launch when you start Windows. Uncheck them to prevent unnecessary programs from being launched at startup.
Method 2:- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Startup. Make sure any app you want to run at startup is turned On.
Method 3:- If you don’t see the Startup option in Settings, right-click the Start button, select Task Manager, then select the Startup tab. (If you don’t see the Startup tab, select More details.) Select the app you want to change, then select Enable to run it at startup or Disable so it doesn’t run. Watch the video to see how to do it.
Close Unused Tabs
If you are working on a project and have a lot of tabs open, it may be helpful (speed up windows 10 pc) to close them and restart the browser. Most browsers have the option to restore the previous tab after you restarted or condensed it.
Uninstall or Remove Unnecessary Apps and Programs
Programs that are never used should be removed. It increases your computer speed. There are different ways to remove apps and programs. Steps to uninstall or remove apps and programs in Windows 10.
Uninstall from the Start menu
- Select Start and look for the app or program in the list shown.
- Press and hold (or right-click) on the app, then select Uninstall.
Uninstall from the Settings page
- Select Start, then select Settings >> Apps > Apps & features. Or just click the shortcut link at the bottom of this article.
- Select the app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall.
Uninstall from the Control Panel (for programs)
- In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel and select it from the results.
- Select Programs >> Programs and Features.
- Press and hold (or right-click) on the program you want to remove and select Uninstall or Uninstall/Change. Then follow the directions on the screen.
Add More RAM if Needed
RAM (Random Access Memory) is a memory used to run more programs. So if your computer does not have enough RAM, especially when processing large files or performing multiple actions at once, your computer may be slow.
Step to check RAM usage in Windows Task Manager:
- Press the following keys: Ctrl + Alt + Del
- Click on “Task Manager”
- Click on the “Performance” tab and check the section titled “Memory”.
Turn on Automated Windows Maintenance
Automatically fixes problems if it finds them.
Automatic maintenance helps to maintain the health and performance of a Windows PC. Maintenance includes keeping the Windows operating system (OS) and applications up-to-date, checking security, and running scans for malware.
If you want it to run now, Open Control Panel >> System and Security >> Security and Maintenance. In the Maintenance section, under Automatic Maintenance, click Start maintenance.
Disable Visual Effects
You can turn off visual effects to speed up Windows 10 pc, especially on older machines.
Disabling fancy visual effects (e.g., windows and taskbar animations, box and mouse shadows, aero peek) improve computer performance. These visual effects are enabled by default, and they use more system resources which makes your device run slower and can also impact battery life, especially on older machines.
Manage visual effects to speed up Windows 10 use the following steps:
- Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
- Type sysdm.cpl and click OK to launch System Properties.
- Under “Performance,” click the Settings button.
- On “Performance Options,” under “Visual Effects,” select the Adjust for best performance option to disable all the effects and animations.
- Click Apply then OK.
Windows 10 will now turn off the effects that slow down your system.
Restart Your Computer
It is one of the secret weapons for troubleshooting and speeding up a PC. When your RAM memory runs out and cannot be cleared, memory can be refreshed by restarting the computer and improving computer performance. It is important to shut down or restart your computer at least once a week to keep Windows 10 running smoothly.
Go to Start, select the Power button, and then select Restart.
May Have Virus in Your Computer
If you are still experiencing a slow computer, then it is clear that your computer has a virus. Here are the top signs:
- Unexpected pop-ups continue to appear.
- Your computer is still slow to start up.
- Your computer’s programs continue to crash.
- Your web browser is sluggish.
To fix this, contact the operating system’s support team… and install a premium antivirus app (like Quick Heal).
In this guide you will learn how to make Windows 10 faster… Hope you found the post useful and comprehensive!
You may also like: