How to add Table of Contents in your WordPress blog?
If you are an internet user or blogger and webmaster, then you will see many websites whose contents have given in Table of Contents, by which readers can easily browse all content of blog posts and read them.
Also read : How to make colorful Button in WordPress site
You can see Wikipedia’s table contents which you can easily browse long, long Wikipedia articles. You can see example in the screenshot….
Today, in this article we will learn how to add table of contents (toc) automatically to any post or page on your blog. We are using a WordPress plugin to use the feature of the table contents.
How to add Table of Contents to WordPress site?
First you have to install and activate the Table of Content WordPress Plugin.
When you use this plugin, it automatically creates Table of Contents on any blog post or page and displays your readers.
But for this, the headings H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6 should be used in your blog posts or pages. Because using these headings, this plugin automatically creates the Table Contents.
When you install and activate this plugin, you can go to settings WordPress Dashboard >> Settings >> TOC+.
You can see in the screenshot below :
Now let’s do some settings…………
- The first option is position, in which you have to set where you want to display the Table of Contents.
You can see that its default setting is before First Heading that is, it set before the first heading.
- You insert this plugin into all your posts or pages automatically to tick first and second option. If you want to use this plugin in a specific post or page then you have to add a shortcode in that page or post.
- Next Heading text option, in which you have to choose whether you want to show the title or not. If yes, then type your title.
- With the help of toggle, you can give option to show and hide table contents to users and set text for it.
Apart from this there is some other option.
- Show hierarchy : Enable this option if you want to give hierarchy look to your list of table contents.
- Smooth Scrolling Effect : After enable this option, reader clicks on any link in your “table of content” then Content will scroll smooth.
- Appearance Settings : You can also make some appearance customizations and choose the designs.
For most users, default settings will OK, but if you want to make more customizations then you have advanced settings option that you can do according to the theme of your blog.
After doing all the settings, do not forget to click Update Button.
By following these steps, you can easily add Table of Contents to your WordPress blog or website.
You can post / comment here for any questions or suggestions related to this article.
If you like this article, please do not forget to share it on twitter, Google+ and Facebook…..