How to use URL Parameters in Google Search Console
Today, in this article, we will talk about how to configure URL Parameters in Google Search Console. All of you will know about Google Search Console, which is a free SEO optimization tool by Google which you can use for your blog. In this, you have to add website and submit a sitemap. So that search engine spiders or Bots can easily crawl your site. But there are many new bloggers who do not optimize their site after submitting it to Google Webmaster Tools.
If you want to make your blog search engine friendly, then search console is the best way to get started. Here, we will share How to configure URL Parameters in Google Search Console?
What are URL Parameters
There is no definitive way to explain the URL parameters, but we will explain it by an example.
So, So let’s start…
Your blog post URL looks like this.
But when you get traffic from referral sites like Facebook you will see some extra lines in your permalink structure.
The link “?utm_source=facebook” associated at the end of the URL is called URL parameters. In this way, when you share your post on a different site, a different parameter will be used. It helps the analytic and keeps track, where the traffic is coming from your site.
Sometimes Google indexed these links by crawling which can affect our search ranking and Google can penalize your blog.
How to Configure URL Parameters in Google Search Console
I hope all the confusion about URL Parameters will be cleared after reading above article. Now we will know how to block URL Parameters in Google Search Console.
1. First, go to Google Search Console Tools and visit your blog dashboard.
2. Then click on the “Crawl”.
3. Now click on “URL Parameters”.
4. After that, click on “Configure URL Parameters”.
Here you will see a caution, if you have complete knowledge about URL Parameters then use it. Due to Incorrectly configured your blog post may disappear from the search engine.
5. After clicking on Configure URL Parameters you will see some URL Parameters that you have to prevent being indexed. Simply click the on “Edit” button.
6. Now a new page will open. Here, select “Yes: changes, reorders, or narrow page content”.
7. Then select “Other”.
8. And after that choose “No URLs”.
9. Now click on the Save button.
In this way, you can configure URL Parameters and prevent unwanted URLs from being indexed in search engines.
URL Parameters is a useful option for index and Noindex pages in the Google webmaster tool and it is also very useful to avoid duplication issues. Check this setting page at least once a month.
- Some essential settings in Google Search Console tool for a website
- How to Submit Sitemap to Google Search Console Tool
- How to Submit website to Google Search Engine
- Website optimization techniques with Google Webmaster Tools
- Index new post to Google Search in 1 minute
If you like this URL Parameters tutorial, please do not forget to share it on Twitter, Google+ and facebook…..