Your website is not showing in Google search and you are very disappointed. So do not worry. You landed in the right place. This article will help you find out why your website is not showing in Google search and why your website is not ranking in search results and how to fix it.
If your site is not appearing in Google search results or is not performing well, the first step is to determine whether your site is indexing in Google or not.
Go to Google.com and type site:domain.com. Do not forget to replace domain.com with your domain name.
If your site is properly indexed in Google, it’s time to follow the steps below and get your site into Google search.
Why Website Not Showing in Google Search
Below are some common reasons why your site isn’t ranking and why your is site is not showing in Google search.
1. Google has not yet indexed your website
Sometimes, your website may take up to a week or more to get indexed in Google search engine. The reason for this, your website is new and there is no inbound link in it. But if your website has inbound links, Google can index your site soon. Crawlers follow that link and index your site.
Google will find your website anyway, but it can take a few weeks. If you want a fast index for your site and want to show Google search results soon, add your site to Google Search Console. Then submit a sitemap.
Sitemap contains with your website URLs and helps search engines to better crawl your website. Although, it does not boost your search ranking, it can help to fast index and better crawl your content.
Apart from this, you can see how your site is performing in Google search through Google Search Console.
2. Your Keyword Market is Very Competitive
If you use a single word or short phrase keyword to optimizing your website, then your site will not perform better in the search result. The reason for this is that a single word or short phrase keywords are very competitive.
Always use four or five phrase words (long tail keyword) with less competition and higher searches. This makes your content more targeted.
There are a lot of Keyword Finder tools available in the market, but the best is Google’s Developed Keyword Planner and is completely free.
3. Your Website Has “no index” Tags
The “no index” tag is used to prevent the site from indexing in the search engine.
If you accidentally added “no index” tag to your site, it is preventing your site from appearing in search results.
4. Lack of Quality Content
If you copy/paste content from another blog or website, then Google will not like your site at all. Also, stop showing your site in search results or blacklist.
Apart from this, if you write your own content and put too much or forcefully keywords into it, called keyword stuffing. For example,
If you’re looking for the best sports shoes, look no further. Our brand offers the best sports shoes that you could want for business or pleasure. You can also use these best sports shoes for travel or school too.
Google dislikes keyword stuffing. The main reason it creates a bad user experience.
While you may think to fill your page with keywords will drive more traffic to your site, it could actually do the opposite. This activity leads a site to a search penalty.
Also, try to write lengthy content (But do not write nonsense). Lengthy content performs better in search results compared to short content. Here is a guide on Neilpatel – Why 3000+ Word Blog Posts Get More Traffic (A Data Driven Answer)
Proper headings and images are very important in lengthy content. Otherwise it will make your content boring.
5. Check the Manual Actions For Your Website
If your site is affected by manual actions, Google stops showing your site in Google search. These manual actions usually occur when a website is involved in illegal activities, spamming and other fraudulent or fishy activities.
You can use Google Search Console to check it. When your site is penalized by Google, you can view information in detail from the Manual actions tab. Also, you will also be notified via email.
6. Make Sure Google Can Find and Crawl Your Site
- Check for crawl errors – If there are too many errors on your site, then Google will crawl your site very slowly. To speed up the crawl process, fix those errors with 301 redirects.
- Check Your Robots.txt file – Robots.txt is a text file that instructs search engine bots how to crawl pages on their website. If you make a small mistake in creating/editing robots.txt file, then Google will stop crawling and indexing your site.
- Make sure your site structure is easily accessible for Google bots or others search engine bots.
- If you recently transferred your site to a new domain, which was performing well earlier. Now can rank poorly. To avoid this, use 301 redirects.
Backlinks are one of the oldest ranking factors used by Google to rank any content. Backlinks can put a big difference on your website ranking.
It is very important to increase domain authority, Google website ranking and website traffic. But keep one thing in mind, If you create bad or low-quality backlinks or purchase for your site, it can badly hurt your website ranking.
Always try to get high-quality backlinks. 100 quality backlinks equal to 1000 low-quality backlinks.
Here are a quick tips on how to get high quality backlinks,
- Publish high-quality content. People will automatically link your content.
- Submit Guest Post to Other Blogs.
- Comment on do follow blogs and make sure these blogs are related to your niche.
- Make the habit of interlinking.
- Submit Your Blog to Top Blogging directories.
- Submit your blog posts to social bookmarking sites.
- Submit your blog to top social networking sites.
- Convert your blog posts to pdf and submit it to document sharing sites.
8. Check Your Site’s Visibility Settings
WordPress comes with a built-in option that allows you to hide your website from search engines. This option is great for the newly launched website.
However, sometimes this option gets checked accidentally. As a result, the search engine stops indexing your site and that’s why your website does not appear on Google search.
If your website not showing in Google search, first you need to check this option is Unchecked. Simply log in to your WordPress site and visit Settings >> Reading page.
9. Your Website Removed from Google
If you violate Google’s quality guidelines, Google may temporarily or permanently remove your site from index and search results.
Here are some terms when Google Google remove your site from search results,
- De-indexed – A domain has been completely removed from Google.
- Penalized – Domain or page exists but not appear in google search result with direct search queries.
- Sandboxed – Sandbox is a filter applied to new sites. This is designed to prevent them from ranking, especially for high-competing keywords. Here is a guide on Ahrefs – Google Sandbox: Does Google Really Hate New Websites?
If you receive a notification that your site violates Google’s quality guidelines, you can fix them and then submit your site to Google for reconsideration.
10. Ranking on Irrelevant Keywords
One of the main reasons why your Google ranking is low and the website is not appearing in Google Search. You might have used a keyword that is not related to your blog niche.
For example, you are running a food blog but share tech-related content on it which is absolutely wrong.
If you do so, stop it off immediately. Otherwise, Your Google ranking will gradually decrease and your site will not appear in Google Search.
11. Algorithm Changes
This may also be a reason not to show your site in Google search. Google always keeps updating their algorithms so that it can provide relevant results for user search.
When Google updates its algorithm, many websites lose their search traffic and rankings.
In today’s time, the competition has increased in blogging.
If you properly optimize your site but still the Google ranking drops, then this may be the reason for the competition and your competitors are doing better than you.
You can use the SEMrush tool to monitor your competitors’ activities.
13. Poor Page Load Speed
Google now uses website loading speed as a ranking factor. If your site takes more time to load, then you need to pay attention to it. Otherwise, your site’s ranking will gradually decrease and your site’s position will change in the search result.
Fast loading website affects both your ranking and user experience and performs better in search results.
- Best Plugins To Speed Up WordPress Site
- Skyrocket Your WordPress Website Speed Using These 4 Plugins
- Beginner’s Guide to Website Optimization Speed
14. Your Site is Not Mobile Friendly
More than half of the search comes from smartphones. Therefore, Google introduced mobile-friendliness as a ranking factor to improve mobile-friendly search results.
To determine whether your site is mobile-friendly or not, Google has also developed a mobile-friendly testing tool.
If you are a WordPress user and manage your website yourself, simply install a new WordPress theme that is responsive. Apart from this, you can use a plugin for this.
If a developer has created your website, then talk to him to make it responsive.
15. Poor Content Optimisation
Your site is not optimized for search engines, this means that your site is not properly optimized for SEO. If you want to show your website on the first page of Google, SEO techniques will be your best friend. Proper SEO technique helps to get higher rank in search results.
However, there are two types of SEO.
- On-page SEO
- Off-Page SEO
Here are some quick tips about on-page SEO,
- Focus on content quality
- Use SEO-Friendly URLs – Make your URL short and readable.
- Start Title With Keyword.
- Add Modifiers To Your Title such as “2019”, “best”, “guide”, “checklist”, “fast” etc.
- Use Responsive Design (make your site mobile friendly).
- Use Outbound Links (External Links).
- Use Internal Links.
- Improve your Website loading speed.
- Use long tail keyword and related keyword.
- Optimize your image size. Do not forget to rename the image and add your target keyword to your image alt text.
Here are some working tips on Off-Page SEO,
- Build Links through Guest Posting and Email Outreach
- Submit Your Articles to High-Quality Niche Directories
- Improve your social media signals
- Join question-answer site like Quora
When your site loses links (backlinks), your site ranking is greatly affected. Even your site can be removed from the first page of the Google search result.
17. Duplicate Content
If you publish duplicate content on your blog, Google will reduce your search ranking and blacklist your blog too. As a result your site will not appear in Google.
Always write unique and quality content with detail and deep information. Furthermore, your article should be interesting and evergreen.
Find this article helpful? Don’t forget to share!